Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What’s it All About?

On Friday May 5, I had the pleasure of participating in “What’s it All About Day” in my daughter’s school. This is a more inclusive version of career day. Parents can choose to discuss careers, hobbies or any activity that is applicable to children.

I was very happy when my daughter asked me to sign up for the event. After losing my sight, I was insecure and wondered if my daughter would still be proud of me.

She was excited about me attending the event, but she also made sure I would follow her rules.
Don’t tell any stories about me as a child.
Don’t bring any baby pictures.
Don’t be boring.
These were her three main rules. The other two pertained to my attire. She knows I would never purposely embarrass her, but it sure is fun telling her about the many ways I could.

After getting my daughter’s approval on my clothing selection for the day, my wife dropped us off at the school. I was too happy being with my daughter to get upset by the ignorant things people tend to do around a blind person. I had to sign in so my daughter and I walked to the table setup for the speakers to get their classroom information. “Can he sign in?” “Will you be able to show him to the classroom?” These are some of the questions one of the women asked my daughter. Usually I interrupt the question and the person will realize their mistake. However, this day I simply said “we will be fine and moved on.  That is actually a very big deal for me. I can’t tell you the number of times people make comments to my daughter like “Do you take good care of your Daddy? Anyway, let me move away from that subject before I get fired up.

I spoke to a total of four 3rd grade classes. My presentation was not only about a career as a computer programmer, but mainly about blindness and what it means compared to the many myths. The kids were very cool. They really enjoyed when my computer screen reader spoke to them. We talked about different technologies and how they assist people to accomplish many ordinary tasks that others may take for granted. One boy said he was going to invent me a car that will drive itself. He was stone cold serious. I think he may be the one.

Exposing children to a variety of careers, cultures and challenges will eventually produce a new inclusive way of thinking. Gone will be the days when companies are adapting technology or trying to build accessible versions of popular software or other devices. Inclusion from the start will allow everyone to access information.

--That’s what it’s all about!
    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home