Friday, May 12, 2006

NFB aims at Target

NFB sues Target

The author ends this article with a comment that suggests the issue of accessibility to web sites is unimportant. There are some who have even left comments that suggest the blind have no business on the web.

While the web is a source of income to many in the development field and a convenient way to find information, for a blind person it can mean the difference between remaining independent and signing over many routine activities to a stranger.

The web for a blind person provides them with the ability to shop, perform banking tasks, obtain information that is otherwise inaccessible and for many even socialize.

It amazes me that readers of a technology based website would have such an attitude. They must forget the true purpose of technology is to solve a problem or fill a need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Carten said...

There's no such thing as a level playing field. Would be nice if there were, but it just isn't going to happen this side of Heaven. Best we can do is make it as level as possible in the most reasonable way.

I have epilepsy, barely controlled. Many tv ads, promos for upcoming programs and the shows themselves bombard me with flashy pictures, strobe-like in their content. I can't watch them; I am denied access to their content. ADA doesn't touch this area of our lives (speaking for all E's), nor does it apply to nightclubs and their flashing, flickering lights.

I'd love to have a level playing field so I can enjoy life's pleasures the same as everyone else, but some of them are, by their nature, going to be off-limits to me.

That's life. I have to accept it.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home