Thursday, May 25, 2006

If you see me walking down the street…

A few weeks ago my family and I went to the Bronx Zoo. This was not the first time there and will probably not be the last. It was however, the first time we have gone as a family since I lost my sight a little over two years ago.  Apparently not many blind people go to the zoo. Well at least not based on the reaction of many of the thousands of people visiting the park that specific Saturday. Fortunately for me I don’t have to deal directly with the stares pointing and even whispers that my family must put up with. This reaction and behavior is not unique or isolated to the zoo. This is something that we deal with on a day to day basis.

My wife and I are grown ups and we usually try to act mature. She rarely mentions these things to me anymore. Occasionally it may reach a point with her where she needs to let it out. It’s one thing when she and I are alone, but why in the world would people point and stare when children are involved. My oldest daughter is just cool as can be. She rarely says anything out loud regarding the on lookers, but occasionally she asks my wife, why-- why do people stare at Daddy?

Within the last two years I have done a great deal of mental exercise to get to a state of mind where I am not thinking about other people and their misguided perceptions of blind people. Most of them probably have legitimate questions that have never been answered. Some have stereotypes of the blind community that maybe conflict with the image of my family and me enjoying a day together. Frankly, I don’t care that much about their issue. I care more about my family and the effect this has on us.

My wife and I were talking about going away for a family vacation. It was her idea to attend the ACB (American Council of the Blind) convention in Florida this summer. Okay, let me explain. My wife’s first idea of a vacation would never have been the ACB convention. She is more of the cruise, Caribbean, Polynesian Islands type. Get the point? When it comes to vacations, my oldest daughter takes a lot from her Mother. They both love to talk about going various places. I think in a few years my daughter will be just as good as her Mother in planning the events.  It is therefore, just as shocking to me to hear that she too is interested in going to the convention. Not for the information but simply to be in a place where we have shared experiences with others and we are not on display.

I remember when going on vacation meant getting away from everyone relaxing and enjoying a new place. Now it seems we are trying to just be anonymous.

My family is strong and will never let anything like idiots staring stop us from living our lives. So, to all who are fascinated by my family and I, please do like the song --

……Walk on by!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home